Breathing is something which we can’t go a minute without. From the moment we were born, we have been breathing in order to survive; pumping oxygen into our bodies to keep our hearts pumping. There are times in life when breathing techniques are going to be vital for success and believe it or not, something as simple as changing the way in which you’re breathing can have a huge impact. Within this guide, we will be letting you in on everything you need to know about breathing techniques; from their importance right through to how to apply them in your everyday life.
Why Are Breathing Techniques So Important?
Through practicing breathing techniques on a daily basis, you will be helping your diaphragm and surrounding muscles to improve their strength, resulting in getting more oxygen into the body to keep you healthy.
The way in which you breathe will have a direct correlation on the way in which you go about life. If you find yourself to be an anxious person, for example, then breathing techniques will be the most natural form of medicine needed to help you collect your thoughts and return to a less anxious state of mind. The same applies when carrying out forms of exercise which require a lot of energy; your breathing technique will play a huge role in whether you will be performing the exercise to the best of your ability.
Top Tips For Breathing Easily
If you find having a consistent and problem-free breathing pattern to be difficult, then take the following tips for breathing more easily into account.
- Sleep with your head elevated (this is easily done through having extra pillows)
- Take time to relax in quiet spaces
- Perform meditation on a daily basis
- Exercise frequently
These four tips are considered to be the ‘golden rules’ when improving your breathing techniques, so be sure to incorporate them into your routine every single day for the best effects. You’ll also find that these ‘golden rules’ are going to be the activities which challenge your breathing, but this is what makes them so great.
Breathing Techniques For Athletes
The real breathing challenges come into play when your body is pushed to its limits. Take exercise, for example, where your heart rate increases and your body requires more oxygen to remain stable.
Exercise can become very difficult if you aren’t breathing properly, so read on to discover some of the best breathing techniques which will get you through those dreaded workouts.
- Breathe From The Belly & Keep Things Slow: For beginner athletes, this ‘breathe from the belly’ technique proves to be one of the most successful. It really helps you to train your body when in ‘fight or flight’ situations and it also sets you up nicely for tougher challenges further down the line. So, to stop your body from panicking when in a physically challenging situation, stick to a pace which doesn’t push your limits too much while inhaling through your nose and exhaling out your mouth. The more you practice this, the more blood cells you will produce; making the exercise far easier than it was when you first started. And remember: breathe from the belly, not from the chest!
- Pursed-Lip Breathing: Pursed-lip breathing slows down the breathing rate, meaning it’s perfect for cooling down after intense exercise. All that you need to do is inhale through the nose for 2 seconds and then exhale through pursed lips for 4 seconds. This technique really helps your lungs to release and dispense more oxygen and there is no better technique to help bring you back down to a normal level.
- Abdominal Breathing: If you find that you’ve followed the tips in this guide yet still struggle with breathing, then it’s time to give some abdominal breathing exercises a try. Abdominal breathing exercises help to strengthen your diaphragm, and eventually, improve your overall breathing patterns. Your diaphragm is the most important muscle used when breathing, so strengthening it will be sure to help. Simply follow the steps in ‘pursed-lip breathing’, but do so lying down and focus on the tightening of your stomach muscles.
How To Apply Breathing Techniques To Everyday Life
We would be here all day if we listed every single breathing technique out there, but a quick bit of research will soon help you to find the strategy which is most suited to you. It’s both shocking and incredible to realize just how many of us aren’t breathing properly; our bodies could be generating so much more of the good stuff if we were to just make a few changes to our daily routines.
The best way to get into the right mindset is via meditation either as soon as you wake up or just before you go to bed. By practicing meditation, you will be entering into a ‘zen’ frame of mind which focuses purely on breathing and nothing else. You’ll not only find yourself far more relaxed from meditation, but you’ll also find that it has a positive impact on your breathing throughout the day, too.
Once you’ve gained an understanding as to what your body reacts well to, you will be able to apply the breathing techniques in ‘fight or flight’ situations such as when performing some intense exercise or when anxious. Before you know it, you’ll be dealing with situations in a calm manner and reaching personal bests which you never thought were possible. All because you made a few breathing changes to your everyday routine!
Give Your Body The Oxygen It Deserves
By applying certain types of breathing exercises to your everyday life, you’ll begin to learn more about your body than you ever thought imaginable. You’ll soon find yourself struggling far less during exercise and performing the best you’ve ever performed. You’ll find simple tasks such as walking up the stairs to be hassle-free. You’ll even find yourself enjoying nature for what it truly is as you soak up all of the wonderful oxygen around you!