How To Start Running When You Are Out Of Shape
Running When You Are Out Of Shape
If you are looking for a way to get healthier and stronger there are few exercises to compare to running. It’s ideal if you want to take in the scenery solo and clear your mind and equally good for you if you prefer to buddy up and run with somebody. It’s an anytime, anywhere kind of exercise that makes you feel good from the moment you start. However, you may be rethinking your decision if you’re out of shape and believe running might actually take a toll on your body. Instead of making up your mind, be sure to get a pair of running shoes for beginners and pay attention to the following benefits of running and then consider getting in shape to start running.
- Convenience: Walking and running are the two most convenient exercises. You don’t need any special equipment or machines. Just step outside your house or go to a nearby park and you can start running immediately. You can run in the morning, in the evening, pretty much anytime and anywhere.
- Cost-Effective: Running is the cheapest exercise and is almost free. You only need to invest in a good pair of sneakers or running sandals and a comfortable running suit and you are good to go. No expensive gym memberships or personal trainers are needed for this healthy exercise.
- Beneficial for Cardiovascular Health: Running is an effective cardio workout and positively impacts on your cardiovascular health. It helps regulate your blood pressure and increases the oxygen supply in the blood which in turn reduces the risk of heart disease and sudden cardiac arrest.
- Improved Joint Movement: Running puts little stress on joints and does not cause much harm. Instead, it improves joint movements. All other exercises put a lot of pressure on hip, knee, and ankle joints and contribute to a deterioration in joint health. Running compresses and expands ligaments in a continuous rhythm which makes your joints more flexible and improves its movements.
- Mental and Emotional Wellbeing: Running contributes a great deal in your mental and emotional wellbeing. It increases oxygen supply to the brain and activates mood-boosting chemicals which in turn, increases your cognitive abilities. Running can improve your overall mood and it helps you get rid of stressful and depressive mood swings.
Are You Ready For Running?
Running is no doubt a very beneficial exercise but you can enjoy all these benefits only if your body is ready to start running. If you’re currently out of shape, you should pay attention to the following point and consider these tips to running for beginners.
Evaluate Your Reasons
The first thing to consider before adding any new exercise in your routine is the reason behind it. Evaluate your purpose of running before starting it. It could be anything from losing weight to building stamina. You can opt for running as a healthy exercise or do it for the purpose of competing in marathons. This evaluation will help you decide the amount of time and money to be invested in it. You might even become a lifetime runner eventually.
Evaluate Your Stamina
Secondly, evaluate your stamina before starting running. Begin with a slow walk, then continue with speed walking, and gradually increase the pace. This will help you get an idea about your capacity. When you feel short of breath or too tired to move forward, this is the maximum stamina level you have at the moment. Now start with this point and by slowly increasing your speed and prepare your body for running. Gradually moving from walking to jogging and then to running decreases the risk of injuries and won’t let you give up easily.
Appropriate Running Shoes
Appropriate running shoes are one of the crucial prerequisites for running. You cannot run well and will most likely harm your knees and ankles if you are not using proper running shoes. So make sure you know your foot type and choose the ones that suit you. From running shoes for wide feet to running shoes for flat feet, investing in a good and appropriate pair of shoes supports your feet and also enables you to run long distances comfortably.
Here are some key features that you must consider when buying your new pair of running shoes:
- Upper: You running shoes must have a foot-shaped smooth upper which is free from any binding or chafing.
- Ankle Collar: The ankle collar is an important feature of the shoes as your shoes comfort and grip largely based on it. Ankle collar must fit perfectly around your ankle joint and bone.
- Heel Counter: The heel counter must be comfortable enough to allow flexible movements.
- Saddle: Your shoe saddle must hold your foot securely and have a comfortable dooming arch.
- Toe Box: The toe box should neither be too tight so that it irritates your toes nor loose enough to impact on your grip in the shoes. It should be comfortable enough to allow you to run for long durations.
- Outsole: The outsole of the shoes must be according to your foot contours and also lightweight so that it won’t create friction while running.
- Midsole: Midsole again should be lightly weighted so that you can run comfortably. It should be neither too thick nor too soft but firm enough to support the feet.
- Heel Cushioning: The heel cushioning should be firm in its place and must not move as you run. It shouldn’t be too thick like a fluffy mat nor too thin that it feels like being on the ground. If necessary, use insoles for additional comfort.
Choose Your Running Space
Select a good refreshing place for running that help lift your mood. Running on the same route every day sometimes becomes boring so it’s a good idea to explore new places in your neighborhood while running.
Keep A Check On Your Progress
Maintain a running journal and record your daily progress in it. This journal will help you in evaluating your progress and you can check whether you are meeting your milestones or not. It will also motivate you to work harder and keep you going. Fitness gadgets and trackers are also good for keeping a check on your progress.
Set Realistic Goals
Always set realistic goals as no exercise produces results on the spot. Allow your body time to get acquainted with the new regime before you begin to expect visible results. Running usually takes 2 weeks for establishing inner strength before it exhibits external results so set small realistic goals that can be easily achieved and always stay fuelled when running.
You know once you get started your running time will become the best part of your day. As you are hitting the track at the park or the pavements around the block and burning off calories, you quickly work out how far you can drift off to the rhythmic beat of your feet and let your mind clear and wander. As you settle into the routine and note down your achievements you’ll feel the benefits of running inside and out. Provided of course, you have taken our advice and are wearing comfortable running shoes.